This meme is by me, and it shall be known as the Happy Me Meme for all eternity (or however long the Internet lasts).
Basically, the idea is to tell the world 8 facts about your life that you find heart-warming or facts that cheer you up on dark days or some cheesy crap like that. It’s a way to make you feel good about your life, no matter what. The facts can be as random and seemingly innocuous as you wish them to be. I chose 8, because it’s my favourite number.
1. The fact of birth was announced on a giant Soviet factory. My dad was there on business while my mom was in the hospital, and my grandmother, a doctor, called my dad’s office, which then called the factory. My dad was walking around the building, and the director decided to find him via the PA system. So they boomed: “Congratulations to Comrade Antonov on the birth of a daughter! Come to the main office now please!” My dad got there, and they had cognac set out for him.
2. Once upon the time, I had the distinct privilege of corresponding with my favourite modern author. I blubbered from happiness.
3. I know what it’s like to gallop on a horse, across a field with crackling frozen grass, as the sun is going down.
4. My mother taught me many things, but the most important thing she taught me is to love poetry. You’re never alone when you have poetry. Even the mere act of reciting it in your head is like holding someone else’s hand.
6. I’m glad to have had such a weird and unusual journey so far, I like being an American-Ukrainian-Russian presently living in the Middle East. I hope this feeling lasts.
7. I’m glad I was born into this family, in this city, and in this time. I am not always glad of these things (being a human being and all), but I generally am, and this gladness helps me to keep on keeping on.
8. I know what it’s like to love and be loved in return, and my love covers everything: traffic jams and bad weather patterns and soaring prices of designer underwear.
I tag Octogalore, Belledame, Rootietoot, Kim, Amber, Vanessa, Renegade, and Henry (whom I haven’t spoken to in a while, *sniff*). Oh, and d’oh, I’m tagging Sylvia too, of course (I don’t think I’ve ever tagged her before, which means she *has* to do this, hear that, Sylvia?).